Friday, November 12, 2010

We were played!!!

I am writing to you live from the Beattyville public library!  I must say, I am impressed with the facility.  It is clean, well maintained, and has multiple public computers.  They are available for anyone, not just card carrying members.  Unfortunately, the girl sitting next to me, reeks of cigarette smoke and looks to be about 16.  It is sad.  Chad and I had a cultural experience today.  We did our laundry (in Beattyville) today.  The laundry mat is located below the Family Dollar.  Needless to say, the facility was sub-par.  There was no attendant, more then half the machines were graffiti-ed (I don't know the past tense of graffiti).  Not vandalized, rather the graffiti was informative.  It informed "you" of which machines worked and on what date the machine last worked! 

While waiting for our laundry, Chad and I got to experience the local culture! There was a pickup truck that had been in an accident.  The entire bed was smashed up, almost into the cab.  The amazing part was, the owner was still driving it.  The truck still drove straight, although the sub frame looked demolished!  He seemed content and happy to continue driving the automobile!



A few minutes later, we saw, what could be, one of the most amazing things  I have seen!  An elderly gentleman, probably around 80, cruised through the parking lot on a vesper scooter!  He had a flashy, open faced helmet on.  On the side of the helmet it read, "hot rod," and he was chewing.  It was the type of chewing I remember my grandfather and mother doing when they had their teeth out!  Chad and I were both breathless!  I wanted to shake his hand, but as he came, he was gone and the memory remains!  (Not quoting Metallica there!)  There is now a little boy in the library, probably about six.  He is dressed in camouflage overalls, with no shirt on!!! Holy shit!  It is truly amazing that this is acceptable!

A few days ago, while we were resting in Lexington, we had an encounter with a nifty girl.  She approached Chad, Tim, and myself.  We had finished loading the Subaru with groceries and she approached us.  She had an amazing sob story.  She had just run out of gas, needed to get home, but had no money.  She was dressed well, appeared to have taken a shower, was dolled up, and she knew she was good looking.  After informing us of her situation, out of gas, no money to get home, she asked us if we could spare a few dollars.  We all had the deer in head lights look.  Do we help her? Is she swindling us... what if shes not?  Will we look like assholes if we don't help her?  Then she nailed us, hook line and sinker... "it is really embarrassing for me to ask and if I didn't have to I wouldn't.  I have no where else to turn.  I haven't talked to my family in some time now, and if I could, they wouldn't help me..."  Her southern accent was strong.  Blinded by this last comment, we all reached deep and gave her a few dollars, eight to be exact.  Later, over some beer and hot wings, it occurred to us that we were manipulated and exploited!  She had done this before, we weren't her first victims that evening...  She got her meth, fix!

Chad sent his second 12a and first in the Red River Gorge two days ago.  The three of us sent Glide (5.12a). A new route in the Boneyard.  It was awesome to see Chad send it.  He had a great sequence through crux and held on till the end!  Later that day, I sent Iniquity (5.12b).  It was my second go.  I had tried it earlier in the trip.  Afterwards I tried Cellblock 6, but didn't send.  That thing is hard!!!  I returned to an old project yesterday.  I got on Jesus Wept (5.12d).  The Sanctuary is an amazing crag and Jesus Wept is a must do!!!  I took a refresher burn, then one hung the climb twice.  I was so close to sending.  I think I will go back before the trip is over and send!!!  Tim took a go at it and liked it.

Sorry for the lack of pictures.  We didn't take many the past couple days, and I'm at the library.  There is a pronounced sign in front of me.  It makes it clear, it is not allowed to insert any mass storage drives into the computer... yes, that's what she said!

2 comments:

  1. great post Em! No matter how cute the meth heads are down south make sure you come home to NH.

    ReplyDelete