Monday, November 15, 2010

So long Kentucky and the Gorge!!!

Well... what can be said.  Our time is done at the RED! It was amazing.  Unfortunately, but fortunately, the road trip must go on!  We climbed today and are spending the night at a (new) friends apartment in Lexington.  We met Nichole our first weekend at Miguel's.  She was drinking Busch light from a camouflaged beer can.  Chad and I sat down to talk with her and her friend.  In her defense, Busch light is only available in a camouflaged can, at least in this region of the continental 48!  Realizing that we had no where to stay tonight, in loo of unpacking (the car we just packed this morning), and pitching our tents, just to break them down again in the morning, we kindly asked Nichole for a place to stay.  She graciously is hosting us!     

Yesterday was a gloomy day.  The forecast didn't look good and motivation to climb was low.  Around 1230, I mentioned I wouldn't mind going out to the Sanctuary to see if anything was climbable. Of course it started to rain the second we began to hike down.  Not to be deterred, Chad and I continued on our path!  I'm glade we did.  Upon arriving at the crag, the rain stopped and it gradually cleared.  I took a refresher/warm up burn on Jesus Wept (5.12d).  It went exceedingly well for a warm up.  I had some trouble sticking a big move down low, but once I was past it I climbed it to the chains.  My second burn I fell at the top.  There is a thin, techy, tensiony, redpoint crux at the top of the climb.  After finishing the route.  I lowered to this section and made sure I remembered the foot sequence.  On my third go, I executed!  It went so smoothly, I love it when sends go that way!  It was a great way for me to end the trip.  Speaking of ending the trip well, Tim Greene sent Dogleg (5.12a), today.  It is an extremely height dependent, amazing rock climb.  Tim was so psyched, as were Chad and I for him.

Poor, poor Tim.  Chad and I bought him pizza in our fiscally conservative way of saying thank you, for letting us stay in his cabin.  He is still extremely psyched to climb here and wanted Chad and I to stay a few more days.  Not that Chad and I are sticking to a strict schedule, but we had decided at the beginning of our trip, that we would leave on this date!  Despite his best efforts, he couldn't change our minds.  Hopefully he will find someone to climb with tomorrow, although the forecast isn't looking good.

Tomorrow Chad and I head to Boulder, Colorado.  It is about a 20 hour drive from Lexington.  We might do it in one push or two.  Either way, we hope to arrive on the 17th.  We are going to be visiting with my amazing Aunt Maggie!  She too, is on a road trip and has found herself a house sitting gig in Boulder.  Therefore, Chad and I are going to crash over her way for a few days.  I am excited to see her.  Not that I am bias, but she is a really cool.  I am looking forward to seeing her, and the sights and sounds of Boulder!  


    

2 comments:

  1. And no north Carolina pit stops? :( but sounds like an amazing trip so far. You know you have a place to stay if You pass through. Mac is in Hendersonville. Holla! Love ya! Climb on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget to rest enough and eat enough...I don't want you coming back all low morale and scrawny

    ReplyDelete