Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am so sick!!!

Yesterday was awful.  The morning started out as any other.  I awoke to the sun shinning and the mountains covered in snow.  I had my morning coffee with Chad.  However, instead of feeling inspired and amped!  I was left with an upset stomach.  I felt like vomiting but the sensation went away.  So, I continued on with my day, made breakfast and went climbing.  I should have listened to my body.  While climbing, I felt weak and all my joints hurt.  The feeling did not go away, in fact it only worsened.  Although I felt shitty, I flashed Mister Witty (V6).  After the accomplishment things got worse.  Chad and I headed into town around 230.  We had had an early start, I wasn't feeling good and Chad wanted to save some skin.  We went to the Loony Bean; one of the coffee shops in town.  Sitting in one of the leather chairs, I felt progressively worse. 
After 30 minutes of shivering with all my layers on, I decided to get a motel room.  It wasn't a prize winner, but it had a toilet, bed, heat, and a TV.  All of which were used.  Chad being the gentleman that he is, went to the store and got me some provisions.  Tylenol, chicken noodle soup and ginger ale got me through the night.  I wish I could say I slept well.  I woke up frequently covered in sweat.  I feel much better today, but not fully recovered.  Hopefully I will sleep well tonight and kick the remainder of this!

The other day while resting.  Chad and I had some interesting and truly unique experiences in Bishop.  I honestly believe these things only happen when you are on the road.  Or, are in a new area.  Maybe you are more attune to such things, or maybe climbing destinations bring you to more culturally interesting areas. 

Our rest day (a couple days ago) started out at the Loony Bean.  Chad was on his computer drinking coffee and I was doing a cross word puzzle on my phone.  I am quite addicted to them.  While trying to discern a cross word puzzle clue, an old man entered the coffee shop.  He had with him a guitar in a guitar case which he kept in a cart with wheels.  Trembling and shaking slightly, he began to talk to a gentleman in the establishment.  Todd, who Chad and I had met the day before, talked with the old man but never took his eyes off his work.  After explaining how he came into possession of the 12-string guitar, the old man asked Todd if he would like to hear him play.  In tune with his shaking and quivering, the old man played and sang beautifully.  I wish I could hear him play every afternoon.  It was a unique experience.  I never would have guessed the old man was capable of playing so well. 

The Mysterious Guitar Player

After the free concert, Chad and I wandered over to the local bar, Rusty's for happy hour.  The enticing part of happy hour was free pool and darts.  Beers were .50  cents cheaper too.  While being carded after ordering our beer, I over herd an intriguing conversation.  I herd a woman in form a man that she, "...was going to paint her nails today, but I got drunk."  The man responded, "I like getting drunk."  We took our beers and started to play pool.  No more then 20 minutes later, the man who likes getting drunk stumbled over to the pool table.  He asked if he could play the winner.  After putting his name on the chalk board, he asked what the rules for 9 ball were.  This was alread shaping up to be special.  



Local Drunk
I had won the game of 9 ball with Chad and had the pleasure of playing the old drunk.  He wasn't very good, neither am I, but I won.  He thanked us for letting him play and his parting words were; "I never mind loosing to a better player!" 

After the bar we went to the Keough Hot Springs.  They are located just outside of town and are nice.  They could be warmer, but that is not the fault of the hot springs.  There is a resort just up stream that hogs all the hot water.  The beta is to go to the springs later, after the resort has closed down and is no longer steeling all the hot water!!!!

The climbing has been fun so far.  I was just warming up to bouldering and then I got sick.  Hopefully this is only a minor set back.  I hope to climb tomorrow.  If I don't feel well I won't push it.  I don't want to be perpetually sick the entire trip.  Chad and I went and hiked around the Owens River Gorge.  We saw some very cool sport and trad lines.  I'm sure we will spend a day or two there. 



The Happys and Chad looking confused!
 I am really enjoying the trip.  There is a feeling of euphoria I get, and I feel it over some of the simplest things.  For instance, I really like making breakfast and dinner at our camp.  There is no source of running water, the only amenity at the camp ground is a pit toilet.  Yet, we still eat well.  Our meals are high in protein and calories and mixed with vegetables. It feels great to eat well while living simplistically.  It makes you realize how little you need in life to be happy.  Maybe happy isn't the right word, but it fits for now. 

The temperature is going to drop down to 10 degrees tonight.  Hope to stay warm and wake up feeling better!    
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment