Friday, December 3, 2010

33 Days...

I have been on this trip for 33 days.  What an experience it has been.  Is it sad that there is an end date?  Chad needs to be back for a job, and I would like to be home for friends birthdays.  Between December 20-22, Chad and I will return to the Northeast!  Yes, those dates are still far, and there is plenty that can be done and experienced in that time.  However, today was the first day that we talked about a termination date. 

I haven't found my calling in life.  It was an unreal "dream" of mine to accomplish on this trip.  Though the trip isn't over, it does not feel like I will find it.  What I have found, is a greater appreciation for life and what is around me.  My mornings are lazy, which I love.  I get out of my tent around 8, once the sun has heated it to a point that I feel the outside world is bearable.  I have coffee with Chad.  Either French Press of Espresso!  After which, breakfast is had, and depending on the day (rest day or climbing), I embark upon it.  It is a freeing and amazing feeling.  I do know this, and it is not a shocker to those that know me...  I am tired of restaurant work!  I hope to not return to the industry.  I still have some money.  More then likely I will travel around the northeast and visit friends for a while.  Depending on what develops in the months to come, i.e., job opportunities, picking up and leaving (moving west), returning home (to Stone Ridge), going to graduate school, or staying in New Hampshire; will determine what I do.  Could I spend another summer waiting tables?  Yes, as long as I have another trip to look forward to. 


The Pit!
The vagabond/dirt bag way of life is accepted here.  Maybe accepted is the wrong word, but there is a larger presence of it.  Bishop (from what I have seen) is home to many passerby.  Yes, there is world class climbing and fly fishing here, and climbing more so then fly fishing attracts people who choose to live out of there vehicles.  Coming from the east, you don't see it as much.  Of course, it is not uncommon to see a few vehicles at Rumney that people live in.  But, its different here.  There are more of them and they are more elaborate.  There is free camping on BLM land, or two dollar a night per car at the Pit.  The two coffee shops in town are receptive of the climbers.  There are brilliant gear stores in town, great laundry facilities, a place where you can shower with natural, hot spring water for only a dollar!  Where are these things on the east coast?  There are expensive camp grounds, that not always supply wonderful showers.  Some people I meet, who are living out of their vehicles own their own business.  They have found a way to make a living and still have time to travel and climb.  Others, are people my age, older and younger, who, don't know what they want to do.  Some appear to be trust fund babies and others are like me.  They work, save and travel.  It is a great culture, one that those who participate in appreciate.  There is an unspoken bond between us all.  None of us have a lot to spare but would help the other out.

The climbing keeps getting better.  I am becoming more familiar with the style and have been climbing a lot of great problems.  I haven't been able to return to High Plains Drifter.  The top of the boulder is still covered in snow.  Hopefully it will be dry and free of snow tomorrow!  Chad and I are leaving Bishop on the 8th.  We are giving his girlfriend a ride to Ventura, CA.  She flew in a few days ago.  Chad is extremely excited to see her, and now and again I feel like a third wheel.  It was to be expected. 


Drinking water in the Happies!
From Ventura we hope to meet with Tim Greene in Red Rocks!  After that, if there is time we might hit the Southeast for a bit.  Who knows!  That is the beauty of it all!


Me Flashing Mister Witty V6
 
      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment