Friday, December 9, 2011

Long overdue!

I apologize to anyone who actually reads my blog or looks forward to my posting.  I have been very lazy this trip.  Maybe lazy isn't the right word; not motivated to write a blog, lacking the time, and/or not having a computer and access to the Internet.  The trip has been great, none of those reasons are because the trip hasn't been fun!

For me, the time spent in the Red River Gorge was the best!  Right now, I am sitting in the Black Sheep (coffee shop) in Bishop with a sprained ankle.  I will get to that in a minute. 

The Red was eventful and full of great times.  Aside from the amazing climbing, Chad, Alexa (a mutual friend of Chad and I who came down the he RED with us then left after Thanksgiving), and myself were gifted a house to stay in.  Our friend Thierry (French, pronounced Thi-er-ri), let us stay in a house he rents a room in.  Well, we were more like semi-professional security!  The house that Thierry rents a room in was broken into the week prior to our arrival.  One day, while climbing with Thierry, he told us that he had spoke with the woman who rents the house and she was excited to have people to stay there!  It felt more like we were squatting then protecting!  However, it was great to have a house with beds, a kitchen, laundry facilities, and a warm shower!  Oh, did I mention we had a house cat!  It smelled a little, but all in all it was super cute. 

My good friends Brad and Tim visited for bit.  It was nice having everyone in the house, lots of different personalities all to-get-her under one roof crushing it on the rocks!

I didn't send a 13a, I came so close!  I one hung Table of Colors on my second try!  I didn't have enough juice to send it on my third go.  I would have been able to send, but the weather had turned and the forecast didn't look good.  Chad and I decided to leave for better weather.  I sent Triple Sec 12d, on my second try and red pointed Cell Block Six 12c.  Those are my favorite sends.  I did a hand full of other 12a and b's.  I got on a lot of harder routes.  Black Gold, 13c is amazing.  Hopefully one day I will be strong enough to send that on a trip to the RED!!!

From the Red, Chad and I went to Horse Pens 40.  It is in Alabama and is everything that is backwards about Alabama.  It is owned and operated by a family.  The children are home schooled and the father carries a six shooter on his hip.  HP 40 hosts Bluegrass Festivals and religious revivals, as well as a climbing competition, and obviously is home to phenomenal bouldering.  The climbing is unique, challenging, and fun!  Everything there is hard!  Be prepared to smear your feet and slap nonexistent slopers!     

The camping is expensive, but that is to be expected at a private campground.  When we checked in, Chad and I were greeted by the youngest son.  Probably 16 or 17.  He found it appropriate to make an off color reference to 'blacks.'  I don't remember the particulars of the conversation now.  It had something to do with passing laws to keep Canadians out just like Mexicans, and then he transitioned to blacks.  I was happy my last name isn't overtly Jewish. 

On our first rest day in HP we went to Birmingham.  I can't lie, Birmingham is a fun place and Chad and I made some great friends.  We stumbled upon Lucy's Coffee and Tea Cafe.  There, while drinking fine coffee and eating delicious pannini's, we began to talk to Kate and Lucy (little Lucy, not the owner).  They gave us great recommendations to enjoy Birmingham on a budget, then they invited us to meet them out for a beer.  They invited us to Good People Brewing.  Great, beer, fun atmosphere and good local live entertainment. Before leaving to check out the Birmingham Museum of Art, the owner Lucy invited us to her Christmas Party, which was going on that Saturday.  After checking out the museum Chad and I went to Good People Brewery, met up with Kate, Little Lucy, Emily (who we were introduced to at the Brewery), and their friend Burgin.  While making friends over beer Chad and I were informed what an honor it was to be invited to Lucys party.  We had to oblige. 

I can't tell a lie, the party was the most fun I have had in a long time at a social gathering.  Chad and I were known as the climbers and everyone was dieing to talk to us, ask us questions and see what we were all about.  We met a lot of interesting people, drank a lot of good beer, drank some Bourbon, Tequila, and ate extravagant treats that people brought.  There are to many memorable moments to comment on, but a few stand out.  First, I brought Chad a beer, however we had nothing to open it with.  I asked a guy to my left, (later we learn his name to be AJ, he was quite fond of Emily), if he had a bottle opener.  He said he didn't but he had keys, and handed Chad his car keys.  With in inquisitive expression on his face, Chad said, "are you sure?"  AJ responded with, "use leverage."  Chad did and nearly broke his key in half!  It was quite awkward but hilarious!  The key was bent back to what looked usable.  Chad and I felt weird until we learnt later that the girls (Kate, Emily, and Lucy), weren't fans of him.  They thought he was a creeper!   Next highlight, was when an older woman grabbed my ass.  The back story:  A girl named Meghan was standing behind me and talking to Chad.  Turns out she was extremely attracted to me and wanted to grab my ass.  Her friend and Chad were trying to convince her to do so, I was unaware of this, until the older woman grabbed my butt.  It would be grabbed several more times, by that woman, a gay man, and another woman.  I don't think Meghan ever grabbed it.  Then, later in the evening, another older woman, who I hadn't met came up to me, grabbed my arm and said, "I can't believe your not fucking my friend Meghans brains out!"  I was caught off guard and had no reply!  I wish I had the time and you the patience to read about everything that happened at the party.  It was a great time.

Sadly, once we were sober enough to drive, Chad and I left our new friends to drive to Bishop.  He and I plan to stay in touch with Kate, Emily and little Lucy (and big Lucy).  If you are ever in Birmingham go to Lucy's Coffee and Tea Cafe, its off of University BLV! 

Well, that is all for now, there is plenty more to write about... (I haven't forgot about the ankle!) look for it in a few days!  Thanks and sorry for the delay.

1 comment: